Saturday, May 20, 2006

Mary vs. Martha

Luke 10:38-42 "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

This scripture is basically saying that we need to stop getting distracted by meaningless things and just sit at the feet of Jesus. We live in a world that is always busy, and always has stuff on the go. We rarely take the time to just sit at Jesus feet and spend time with him.

We talked about this at Worship Team practice the other day and I have come to realize that I am Martha. I am so busy doing stuff, I am so distracted by doing stuff that I never just sit and spend time with Jesus. He desires that intimacy from us. But I am either watching TV, cleaning, on the computer, or sleeping. Its a horrible life really. I need to spend time with Jesus. I need to turn off my TV for a few hours and just spend time with Jesus whether its just listening to music or reading God's word. It says in verse 42 that Mary chose what was better and that was to just sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to him.

We were asked where Jesus' feet is (where we love spending time most with Him) I wasn't given too much thought on this one so I just said what I usually do (which is sit on my bed with my Bible) When I came home and REALLY thought about it, I felt God's presence most when I was on the top of the hill behind Julian's house (in Summerland) When we were there in March, I took some time for myself and Jesus. I left the group and went up to the top of the hill and I had my notebook and my Bible and I just wrote a big prayer to God (I was a little angry at him because of my current relationship status..but thats something I am not prepared to share about on a public blog...) After I got angry at him I just cried about it. As I was crying I saw a picture of him holding me in his arms and cradling me. So as I was remeniscing on Wednesday about that morning in Summerland, I came to realize that I love spending time with Jesus in the wilderness, in nature. I somehow feel his presence more when I feel the wind in my face and see the bright sunshine and I am in the middle of nowhere. I also came to the conclusion that THAT is why I want to move to Summerland, because I felt his presence so much more when I was in Summerland. I need to find that here, I want to feel his presence in New West just as much as I felt it in Summerland. Come Lord Jesus Come!

I pray that I can spend lots of quality time with my Lord, and just listen to him. I pray that I will have that intimacy. I pray that I will spend lots of time with Jesus and not just on Sunday's. I pray that this will become a part of my daily routine. I pray that it will become a good habit like brushing my teeth. I am so sick of doing things that He doesnt want me to do. I am so sick of sitting around and watching mindless TV. I pray that I will take at least 1 hour out of my day to spend time just sitting at Jesus' feet! Amen!

No comments: